Monday, April 20, 2009

Changing of the Guards

As you have undoubtedly surmised from the addition of the fabulous Janet’s recent postings, changes are in the air here at Blogland. After two years of news-disseminating and enthusiasm-generating, block-quoting and link-gathering, it’s time for my final curtain call. It is a truth universally acknowledged that any act of leave-taking must be accompanied by an indulgent act of reminiscence…and I’m afraid I will not be the exception…

Looking back, I couldn’t have picked a more exciting time to clamber on board the Blogship than April/May ‘07. After wowing audiences for seven months, The Coast of Utopia had nearly reached the end of its run, and the Tonys were just on the horizon. I had the great good fortune of seeing Utopia first hand earlier that year, and thus it was a genuine thrill to join the blog team at this crucial juncture. And, as if that wasn’t enough, it was a thrill beyond thrills to cover Tonysmania! We couldn’t have wished for a happier outcome in that department, and I’ll never forget the key-board pounding that took place here. (The letter “J” has yet to recover.) Since that time, Ms Ehle has gone from winning her second Tony Award to having her second child, and I feel very lucky that I have been able to frame my “career” with two such joyous events.

“This should really go to my wigs”

Since its inception, the blog has always been a team effort, so please allow me to express my gratitude to each and every one of you who has helped us over the years. Thank you for reading and supporting us during busy bee days and slow zinnia days alike. I would also like to give a special thank you to all of the Atrics for warmly welcoming/indoctrinating me into your world of secret society codes, silly banter, and unfailing support. Proof that utopias exist after all! Chelsea, half of the original Dream Team, thank you for setting an amazing precedent. You are a fantastic blogger and an incredible person, and it was a blast meeting you in 3-D.

Most especially, I want to specifically thank the two people who have had the most impact on my life as a blogger. Tina, thank you for recruiting a kid off the streets and taking a young fledgling under your wings. Both your friendship and mentorship extend well beyond the confines of blog life. Though no one could ever fill your shoes, it was an honor to be entrusted with your brainchild alongside Abi. Thanks a million for the chatathons, and I’ll be sending you a medical bill for broken ribs. Abi, thank you for being the most wonderful blog partner imaginable. There’s no one I’d rather be in cahoots with! In addition to providing me with all manner of blogly assistance and expertise (and repeatedly covering for me during hectic exam schedules), you have been a constant source of friendship and sanity….not to mention a squee-sharer, self-esteem-booster, smile-elicitor, etc. Some people might have morphed us into a single, homogenous being, but you are without a doubt the best half of Spheir.

The things that go without saying are often taken for granted, so before I’m given the hook *cue music*, I would also like to say thank you to the Object of Fandom for inspiring us all with her extraordinary talent as well as her most admirable character. Break a leg in all your future endeavors! I know I’ll be one of the first peeps to sound my barbaric squee over the roofs of the World Wide Web when you win another Tony, Emmy, BAFTA, Oscar, Mother-of-the-year award…

New Keeper of the Keys

It’s been a privilege to contribute to the fandom in my own small way…and also a heck of a lot of fun. I feel a twinge of sadness at leaving, but even though my revels are now ended, I’m very happy that the blog’s revelries will continue in the ever so capable and talented hands of Janet. She and the blog seem to have been designed for each other. No one could ask for a better guardian to carry on the tradition, and I greatly look forward to cheering her on from the sidelines. Her unique style, wit, humor, and dedication will be a joy to witness each week.

On to the next generation!

Exit, pursued by a bear

No comments: